Software Nerd

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I too am Black!

Most people in the US have seen forms asking for your race, with a note saying "this section is optional and is used for statistical purposes only". I was looking at one such form today and had a crazy idea...

What if I check "Black"?

The institution asking for this info was probably collecting it to prove that they were not discriminating against blacks, hispanics and native-americans. So, I could help them by saying that I was one of those. That way, everyone is happy (except the folks who had no business to meddle in the first place).

It has a flavor of the "I too am Spartacus" campaign. If everyone were to mark himself down as a minority, these optional sections of forms would be rendered useless.

A related thought: in some countries where discriminatory quotas are enforced by law, people have to produce some proof of their ethnicity. As far as I know, this is not the case in admissions for US colleges. While reading about the discrimination practiced by US colleges, I had a second crazy thought: could a regular white guy get into college claiming to be a Native American? My guess is that it ought not to be too hard.

(Ah, the devil in me must have come out a day late -- yesterday was 6/6/6)

1 Comments:

  • Most of the regular white guys I know ARE Native Americans. We're a minority now?

    By Blogger Jennifer Snow, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home