Software Nerd

Friday, September 29, 2006

Saint Christopher is the God of Travel

Someone asked if Christ was a real person, or whether he was a myth, perhaps even adopted from more ancient myths. [As i noted in the thread, some say Christ is a version of Krishna.] I have no idea, and don't really care; frankly I doubt that Christians really care one way or the other. However, thinking about this, and about the church adopting the Winter festival as its own, another parallel struck me: the practice of the Catholic church in assigning special "roles" to various saints. "Pray to St. Christopher for travel, and pray to ABC before launching a business,..." is exactly the type of advice that Hinduism gives, with its pantheon of Gods and the type of practice one might have found with respect to Roman or Greek gods. Therefore, I figure that this practice of the Catholic church might have been a way to adapt their monotheistic message for a population that was used to, and wanted, multiple Gods. I can just picture the Chief Marketing Officer of the ancient church thinking up the scheme. Sure, we can give them that! They'll be like minor Gods. There are none in the bible, but we'll promote famous dead humans to semi-God status. That ought to work.

3 Comments:

  • Good point. I've not thought of it that way before.

    By Blogger Michael Neibel, at 3:32 PM  

  • Actually, I think there is historical fact to back that up. (that the saints were specifically patterened after earlier gods) I remember reading that a while back, but don't remember the source.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

  • Interesting. I tried a bit of Googling, but it's a hard thing to search for. No matter.

    By Blogger SN, at 4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home