Software Nerd

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Haircut Reminders

A couple of months ago, I blogged about the idea of a web site that doled out personalized advice on fashion.

When it comes to my own hair, I live up the the worst "guy stereotype" of being extremely lazy about it. Just after a hair-cut, I think that next time I should come in at least a week earlier than I did, when my hair's a little less obviously in need of a haircut. How many weeks was it since my last haircut? I can never remember.

I figure that a barber who sends me an email saying: "It will be 4 weeks since your last hair-cut", might be able to stir me into early action. The number of weeks is just an example -- the real number would be based on my usual frequency, and designed to get me to come in 1 week earlier than usual.

The math would work like this: A haircut every 5 weeks makes about 10 a year; one every 4 weeks makes 13 a year. A 30% jump in revenue. Even if one goes from one every 7 weeks to one every 8 weeks, that's a 14% increase.

Of course everyone won't be suspectible to such email -- some guys probably know how to use the calendar, or judge their need for a haircut realistically, or care enough...

Still, I figure even if a third of the emails work at catalysts, one could see about a 5% increase in revenue. Not to be sneered at.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I read about a barber who is doing just that. Not by email, but snail-mail. It still works. He has a response-rate of a staggering 60%.
    Nothing to sneer at indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 AM  

  • >>I read about a barber who is doing just that...
    Damn! There goes my patent!! Back to the drawing-board.
    :)

    By Blogger SN, at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home