Software Nerd

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Targeted Marketing of Objectivism

Can the marketing of Objectivism be more narrowly targeted? Can specific messages be aimed at specific groups? I think the ARI does target businesspeople. School kids and their teachers are targets of the essay-competition. On the college-level, I think MBAs were targeted (along with broader marketing) for the Atlas essay. How about other groups? Doctors might be one relevant group. Some other industry-specific material might work as well: e.g. something aimed at energy industry executives. I think it should be possible to target pamphleteering and lectures as well.


I got thinking about this on reading "To Young Scientists" by Ayn Rand (remarks delivered to MIT, reproduced in "Voice of Reason"). Something in that vein -- updated with contemporary concretes -- might work better than more generalized pamphlets and lectures. A narrowly targeted message can allows the author (aka salesman) to (say) describe the importance philosophy in the life of that specific student (aka customer). One might have "To Young Artists", "To Young Writers", "To Young MBAs", "To Young CPAs", and so on.

Thoughts?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Great idea! This is essentially what I try to do when "advertising" in conversation to my friends, who each have their own backgrounds. Obviously the execution is much different since we are interacting face-to-face, but the principle is the same.

    I am still trying to perfect it, though. I'm sure I could get ideas from written versions by talented writers.

    By Blogger James, at 9:38 AM  

  • Thanks for the comment.

    I had a further thought on this: as a college publication, maybe "The Undercurrent" is best suited to create articles that target specific disciplines.

    By Blogger SN, at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home