Software Nerd

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ten simple poems

On an old OO.net thread, some members said they weren't keen on poetry. So, I though I'd make a list of poems for poetry-newbies. I won't claim these are the best 10 for the purpose; more like the best 10 of the one that I had "top of mind".

1. Let's start with some fun. If you have a daughter entering her teens, you may appreciate "Romantic Age" by Ogden Nash.

2. A simple poem about a man admiring a woman. "She Walks in Beauty", by Lord Byron

3. "The Road Not Taken", by Robert Frost

4. Here is one in the voice of a soldier, fighting a war for a cause he does not understand. "The Man He Killed", by Thomas Hardy

5. "Love's Philosophy", by Shelley

6. "She Was a Phantom of Delight", by Wordsworth

7. "The Listeners", by Walter de la Mare (His "Someone Came Knocking" is one of my childhood favorites)

8. "Red, Red Rose", by Robert Burns

9. "The Children's Hour", by Longfellow

10. "Song to Celia" by Ben Jonson

And, as a bonus, I'd add Dylan Thomas, reciting his own poem "Do not go gentle into that good night".

What other poems would you recommend to specifically to get someone started?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I like the ones you suggested, especially for poetry newbies as they are fairly short and concise. Your selections by Byron and Shelley are some of my favorites.

    Here are my suggestions:

    Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
    Fire And Ice, by Robert Frost
    Ulysses, by Tennyson
    The Eagle, by Tennyson
    Shakespeare's Sonnets, particularly #116, #130, #29, and #18
    Jenny Kiss'd Me, Leigh Hunt
    A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning, Donne
    Anything by Berton Braley, in particular The Westerner
    Invictus, by William Ernest Henley

    That's all for now, I'm sure I'll think of more.

    By Blogger Jenn Casey, at 7:24 AM  

  • Thought of another, one of my all time favorites:

    The Lake Isle of Innisfree, by W.B. Yeats

    By Blogger Jenn Casey, at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home